Call for Applications:
PEN CANADA WRITER-IN-RESIDENCE
George Brown College, Centre for Preparatory and Liberal Studies, Toronto, Ontario
Term: August 31, 2015 – December 19, 2015
PEN Canada invites applications from creative writers for the position of PEN Canada Writer-in-Residence at George Brown College from August 31, 2015 – December 19, 2015.
The PEN Canada Writer-in-Residence at George Brown College will be expected to devote approximately half of his/her time to students and staff, as a guest speaker in classes or at public events. The remaining time will be set aside for the writer to advance his/her own work. The writer will have office space at the St. James campus.
- be a member of PEN Canada’s Writer in Exile Program
- intend to work on a new writing project
- be fluent enough in English to participate effectively in the work described above
- reside in downtown Toronto or within commuting distance
Candidates must include:
- a résumé indicating publication history in fiction, poetry, children’s literature, literary non-fiction, journalism, or drama; awards received for literary work; and any professional experience in teaching, consulting, mentoring, residencies, and publishing
- a portfolio of writing samples (10-15 pp.)
There will be a monthly stipend of $3,500. No additional funds are available to cover transportation, accommodation or meals.
Please send a letter of interest and your up-to-date résumé to The Writers in Exile Network, PEN Canada by the deadline of Sunday, August 16. You may submit your application by mail, email, fax or hand delivery. Please note that PEN Canada’s office is not open for hand delivery on Saturday and Sunday.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax: 416 703 3870
- Mail: 24 Ryerson Avenue, Suite 301, Toronto, ON, Canada, M5T 2P3
Your letter of interest must indicate how you meet the criteria listed above and must state your availability for the dates of the program.
NOTE: No applications will be accepted after the deadline has expired. Please ensure your application is completed as requested and that it is received on time. PEN Canada will not be responsible for incomplete or late applications.
PEN Canada will send applicants an email confirmation receipt after August 16.
All applications will be sent to an independent selection committee as they are received. The committee’s decision will be final.
The successful candidate for the PEN Canada Writer-in-Residence will be notified by August 26 and a public announcement made shortly thereafter.